A day in the life

Posted: 28th February 2012 by Aaron Hagen in Uncategorized
Tags: , ,
Comments Off on A day in the life

One of the best things about being a journalist is that you very rarely do the same thing every day. And in my opinion, that’s what makes this job fun.

I knew Monday was going to be a long day. I had appointments book-ending the day, with writing time in the middle. I knew I was in for it, but when I got out of bed this morning, I had no idea how my day would transpire.

So, here is a day in the life of Aaron Hagen:

7:45 a.m. — Wake up, shower and get ready for work

8:15 a.m. — stroll into the office to grab a camera, recorder and notebook to prepare for my first interview

8:30 a.m. — arrive at the collaborative to do my interview with  Maritza Arauz, who is from Nicaragua. It was part of our diversity series we are running at the Daily Globe.

9:45 a.m. — Finish up learning about Nicaragua from Maritza and head back to the office.

10 a.m. — Staff meeting. We have a weekly meeting to go over story ideas and such. On Monday, we watched a pair of safety videos. But our chief, Ryan McGaughey, brought cookies, so I didn’t mind sitting through the meetings.

11 a.m. — Go to El Horizonte to take a photo of Maritza

11:10 a.m. — Back in the office to catch up on online duties, including posting to Facebook and Twitter.

Noon — I’m starving, so I talk fellow reporter Ana Anthony to accompany me to Arby’s for lunch.

1 p.m. — Time to write. I have nearly three hours before my next appointment, so it’s time to write a story about Maritza and her journey from Nicaragua to the U.S. It’s quite a good story, if you haven’t read it, you should. I’m not just saying that because I wrote it (but that’s a large part of it).

4 p.m. — Finish with the story and start preparing for my next appointment.

4:30 p.m. — Head to see John Standafer. He will be featured in the Daily Globe’s Annual Report, which will hit news stands on March 24. He is a financial advisor in town, and someone I recently met.

7:15 p.m. — Yes, we talked that long. Him and I got along from the first time we met — which was at the Chamber of Commerce annual meeting. We talked about the story for about an hour, and the rest of the time we talked about other things going on in life.

7:15-8:15 p.m. — Home for supper. Grilled cheese and a banana, if you were curious. Why did it take me an hour to make and eat a grilled cheese sandwich? I’m very meticulous when it comes to my grilled cheese.

8:15-8:30 p.m. — After a long weekend, not much sleep and a long day, I needed a nap. Just a few minutes for a quick cat nap. Not sure I actually slept, but it felt good to lay on my couch with my eyes closed for a few minutes.

8:30-10 p.m. — Off to the YMCA for an adult league basketball game. We didn’t win, but we had fun. Or at least I did.

10 p.m. — Without realizing it, both Ryan McGaughey and Julie Buntjer had been trying to get a hold of me. I didn’t answer, of course, while I was playing hoops, but little did I realize what had happened. With four missed calls and two texts between the two of them, I knew something was up. In fact, a train had derailed near Brewster. Julie was on her way, but wanted me to meet her and take some photos. They were already holding Tuesday’s paper to get a photo from the crash.

10:15 p.m. — Arrive in Brewster to meet up with Julie and her friend, Cindy, who was our chauffeur for the night. Cindy drove us past the crash a couple of times while I hung out the passenger-side window to get some photos.

11 p.m. — Back to the Daily Globe office to format photos.  I took quite a few, and given the fact it was the middle of the night, some photos worked out and some didn’t. Good thing I took a ton. Strength in numbers, that’s my secret to good photography.

11:15 p.m. — After the pictures were selected, I began to put together a photo gallery.

Midnight — I uploaded the photos, posted my links and headed home.

12:05 a.m. — Home and ready for a shower (yes, I hadn’t yet showered after my game).

12:20 a.m. — Time to call it a night.

12:30 a.m. — Wrote a blog called, “A day in the life.”

12:45 a.m. — Post the blog and go to sleep. I’ll try to get a few hours of sleep before I do it all again tomorrow.

Comments are closed.