I can’t believe it. In fact, I had to sit and count.

Ryan brought donuts to honor my 5-year anniversary. Or for staff meeting. Either way, I had two.

Good thing I only had to count to five. Otherwise, I would have had to use another hand and that could have been disastrous.

But five years ago yesterday, June 4, 2007, was a special day for me.

It was my first day at the Daily Globe.

I had graduated from Wartburg College a few days before — on Memorial Day — and was ready for my first “real world” job.

I would be lying if I said I wasn’t a little nervous.

OK, I was terrified.

What had I gotten myself into? Could I survive at a daily newspaper?

The sports editor at that time was Kevin Kyle. Well, if you haven’t met Kevin, he’s a beast of a man. He’s about 6’4″ and is a solid human being. He was a former soccer player, and looked the part of a hooligan. His head was bald, but he was growing a long, scraggly goatee. He had tattoos and had a pierced ear.

Yeah, he didn’t make me at ease any.

I remember my interview distinctly. I came up and met with Managing Editor Ryan McGaughey. We went out to the Longbranch or whatever it was called at the time. I had a fish sandwich. During interviews, or really any public setting, I rarely eat anything that requires ketchup for fear of spilling. So I went with fish. It was pretty good, if memory serves.

Later that day, I had met with Kevin, and we talked about a lot of things while we sat out in the ally. He was smoking a cigarette at the time and one question he asked me stuck with me.

“Can you type?” He asked.

I thought he was joking. I’m a 22-year-old kid. I grew up on the computer. And I wanted to be a journalist.

Of course I could type.

I don’t remember my answer — but it must not have been too sarcastic.

A few days later, I was offered the job. To this day, Ryan still gives me a hard time for what my answer was. I told him I had to think about it.

I didn’t really have any other offers on the table at the time. But I wasn’t sure if I wanted to live in Minnesota.

Either a day or two later, I called back and said I would take it. Of course, a couple days later, I had another offer. I sometimes wonder how my life would be different had I taken that job instead.

But that was in early May. I had a whole month of school left. I finished school, packed up my belongings and moved to Worthington.

That first day was an interesting one.

I was shown my desk — that was a highlight. I’m a young kid and I already have a desk. That’s when I knew I made it. A few days later, when I received my first business cards, I was in heaven. I gave them to all my friends and family. Now, I have three boxes in my desk I can’t get rid of. Funny how things change.

That day I went with Kevin to Windom to cover an Adrian/Murray County Central baseball game.

Adrian put a pretty good beating on them that day, it was a 23-4 win.

It was the first of many article I’ve written for the Globe.

Kevin came with me to take photos and left before the game was over. I nearly got lost coming home from Windom. But I made it. And I wrote a pretty decent story. I could do better now, but I don’t totally hate it.

That was just the first day of a crazy week.

That week, a very large man who came in and yelled at Ryan for something that was printed in the paper (Kevin eventually had to stand up and tell the gentleman it was time to leave), which scared the crap out of me.

“Does this happen a lot?” I asked Kevin.


And I don’t think it’s happened since.

I was sent to Mankato to cover Pipestone Area’s state softball run later in that week.

The first photos I took for the Daily Globe were state softball pics. I covered three games at Caswell Park, watching PA win all of them, including a 17-inning state championship game.

At the time, I remember thinking to myself, “Wow, a state championship in my first week, this must happen all the time.”

It doesn’t.

Only over the years have I realized how special that was.

As I have hired new sports reporters during my reign as editor, I also realized something else. That was pretty gutsy for Kevin to send me to state softball.

I don’t know if there was a sports reporter I hired I would have trusted with that. But they did, and I think that was when I realized I could cut it in this business — and at the Globe.

So here I sit five years later. I’ve been a sports writer for a year, sports editor for three and a half and now the Community Content Coordinator.

It’s been a great five years. Sure, I’ve had my ups and downs — and the Globe has, too.

Hopefully, it’s been a little better the past five years while I’ve been around, and hopefully it will continue to get better in the next five.

And while my anniversary came and went with little fanfare — Ryan did bring donuts for staff meeting — it’s time to start another five years today.

On June 5, 2007, I had no idea where the future would take me. And by June 5, 2012, I don’t have any more of an idea.

But just like that day, today is just as exciting. That day was full of possibilities and ideas, and so is today.

So with that, I’m going to and celebrate just a little for surviving.

Here’s to five more years.

  1. Ashley White says:

    Congratulations, Aaron! You really are making me feel young now.

    I do have a hard time believing that you weren’t overly sarcastic when asked if you could type. But maybe your sarcasm came later in life? :)